The Main Library offers small, locked study rooms on the fourth and fifth floors to be used for the purpose of in-depth study and research requiring extensive use of library materials. There is also a secure room on the third floor for graduate students.
Assignment Criteria (in priority order)
- Full-time faculty
- Ph.D. candidates writing dissertations (*graduate students, see how to apply, below)
- Part-time faculty
- Adjunct faculty
How to Apply
- The online application is available here at 8:00 AM on August 1 thru September 4, 2012. You must apply in person in the Administration Office after the online application process is closed, and you will be put on a waiting list if there are no study rooms available. The wait list starts over each assignment period.
- The assignment period for study rooms is September 1- July 31.
- Emeritus faculty are not eligible for research study rooms in the Main Library.
Assignment Status(currently registered students only)
- Ph.D. degree candidates currently engaged in the research and writing of the dissertation (course work and comprehensive examinations completed)
- Ph.D. candidates currently engaged in course work or study for comprehensive examinations
- Masters degree candidates currently engaged in the research and writing of the thesis.
- Other degree candidates, not included above.
How to Apply
- Pick up the application form beginning at 8:00 AM on the first day of fall classes, in the Administration Office, Main Library.
- The student must have their faculty adviser sign the form.
- Completed forms must be returned to the Administration Office by Friday (August 24, 2012) at 5:00 PM.
- Forms will then be prioritized based on pick-up order and assignment status.
- Students will be notified by e-mail the following week about their assignment.
- *On the application form, the Ph.D. candidate who is currently writing their dissertation may indicate their interest in a private Research Study Room. These rooms are limited in number. We encourage applying for a study room only if you are in your last year of dissertation writing, as a reapplication for an additional year will only be accepted if there is not a waiting list.
- The study room assignment period is September 1 – July 31. You may apply at any point throughout the assignment period, and will be put on a waiting list if there is no space available. The wait list starts over each assignment period.
- Students in the health sciences, the College of Law, and the School of Library and Information Science are not eligible for assigned study spaces in the Main Library.
- There are a limited number of lockers available, so not every graduate student will be able to have one. You cannot use the study room if you do not have an assignment.
Please direct specific questions to the Administration Offices, 335-5867
Information about other study spaces is available at: Main Library Study Spaces.