The Graduate Study Room is a space that provides an area for conducting independent study and research. The following guidelines are provided in order to create a respectful and safe environment. Violations of any of the guidelines will be grounds for review and potential withdrawal of room access.
- Access to the graduate study room is for assigned students only. University of Iowa access cards are not transferrable and guests are not allowed.
- The assignment period is September 1 – July 31. Access cards (if the library is your only assignment) and locker padlocks must be returned at the end of the assignment period. Near the end of the assignment period, the occupant will be notified by email and asked to return the access card and padlock. If the occupant has not returned these items by the first of August, the access card will be deactivated, and any personal property left in the locker will be removed and held until August 31.
- All library materials kept in a locker must be checked out to the user. Materials that have not been properly checked out are, for all practical purposes, “lost.”
- The library-provided padlock must be used on the assigned locker. Other padlocks will be removed and the occupant will not be compensated.
- Locker screens are to be kept free of blockage so that library staff can see inside the locker.
- The occupant will be charged $15 for lost or missing padlocks.
- Coffee pots, hot plates, electric heaters and other equipment of this nature are prohibited and subject to removal (fire regulations).
- Food and drink: Please use spill-proof mugs or twist/pull-top bottles. Food should be removed from the room when the occupant leaves.
- Walls and windows are to be kept free of any postings, artwork, etc. Library staff must be able to see inside the room when closing the building and during emergencies and inspections.
- Although the study room is normally secure, leaving lockers open and personal property out is done at the student’s risk.
- Information about an assignment is confidential. Requests for where a person is assigned is provided on an exceptional basis only.
- Please notify the Administration Office (335-5867) of any problems (lights not working, leaks, etc.).