- Building Access
- Group Space Policies
- 2-2-2-2 Rules
- No Show Policy
- Combined Rooms 1103/1105 Reservations
- Reservable Rooms
- Student Organizations
- After-Hours Events in the Main Library & Learning Commons
- Digital Sign Policy
- Handouts Policy
- Bulletin Board Procedures
- Bulletin Board Locations
- Noise Policy
- Tabling Policy
- Table Tents
During the fall and spring semesters the Learning Commons and Service Desk will be open 24 hours, 5 days a week, from 11am Sunday through 10pm Friday. The Learning Commons will be open from 10AM to 10PM on Saturday.
Access to the Main Library Collections during the fall and spring semesters will begin at 7:30am and end at 1am Monday through Thursday, 7:30am to 10pm Friday, 10am to 10pm Saturday and 11am to midnight on Sunday.
All doors to the Main Library & Learning Commons will be unlocked during the day until 1:00am Sunday through Thursday. From 1:00am until 7:30am Sunday through Thursday all entry doors will allow access with university ID card access only. From 1:00am until 7:30am Sunday through Thursday, only the Madison Street door can be used to exit the facility.
All university students, faculty and staff will have access to the Learning Commons when the commons is open via their Iowa One cards. Once the Library Collections has closed at 1:00am Sunday through Thursday only people affiliated with the University of Iowa will be allowed into the Learning Commons.
See University Libraries hours page for information on summer sessions and interim breaks sessions.
See also: How to reserve a group study space
Group spaces in the Learning Commons may be reserved by students online via Hawkmail calendar Office 365 calendar, or in person via touchscreen access at each room. Use of the Learning Commons group spaces is governed by the 2-2-2-2 rules.
- Two or more students are required to be present for group space use. Priority will be given to groups over individuals.
- A student may make up to two reservations per week. Any reservation that violates this policy will be deleted from the system.
- Reservations may last up to two hours. Hawkmail and Office 365 will decline any reservation that lasts more than 2 hours. Be aware, though, that neither Hawkmail or Office 365 will remove the declined reservation from your calendar.
- Reservations can be made up to two weeks in advance. Hawkmail and Office 365 will decline any reservation made more than 2 weeks in advance. Be aware, though, that neither Hawkmail or Office 365 will remove the declined reservation from your calendar.
Groups have 10 minutes after the start of their reservation to arrive. If a group has not claimed their study space by that time their reservation will be cancelled.
Rooms 1103 & 1105 can be combined to create one large space that holds up to 24 people. To reserve the combined rooms please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the date and time of your desired reservation as well as what you would like to use the rooms for. When you arrive to claim the combined group rooms see the Service Desk to have the room divider opened.
Please make sure you are reserving group spaces located only in the Learning Commons. Reservations for spaces not on the List of Reservable Spaces will not be honored. For assistance reserving group spaces please see the Main Library Service Desk.
The group areas in the Main Library Learning Commons are for academic use. Student organizations may not use their organization’s email account to reserve group rooms. All reservations made by a student organization will be declined.
The Learning Commons Operations Team will review all requests for activities occurring in the Main Library and Learning Commons outside of the normal business hours. Contact the Associate University Librarian for Services for additional information.
- Requests to display ads on the Learning Commons digital displays will be vetted by the Learning Commons Coordinator. Priority will go to ads that promote events, resources and services that take place in the Learning Commons or Main Library.
- Digital Signage Specifications
- Digital signage submitted by campus partners should be sent as a jpeg and should have a resolution size of 800×600 pixels.
- Digital content must be emailed to email@example.com.
- Digital signage will run in a loop on screens inside the north, east and south entrances of the Learning Commons.
- Signs for events can be displayed for a maximum of one week prior to the event and will be taken immediately after the event.
- Signs for university-related resources or services will be posted for a maximum of 1 month, if space allows.
- Content must be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to when it needs to be displayed.
- Content must be appropriate for all ages.
Handouts may only be displayed on the bulletin boards in the Main Library. Any handouts found elsewhere will be taken down immediately
- Flyers may be posted by students, faculty or staff related to the University of Iowa
- A total of 1 paper sign may be displayed on each bulletin board. All other signs will be removed. 8.5 x 11 is preferred but 11 x 17 will be posted if space allows.
- The Main Library reserves the right to remove outdated and inappropriate flyers.
- 1st floor near the double doors to Circulation Services
- 2nd floor just off the hallway near the Music Library offices
- 3rd floor near the copier in the hallway leading east to the journals
- 1st floor near the public restrooms
The Learning Commons, including the Food for Thought Cafe, is a collaborative environment and is not considered a designated quiet study area. If a person is speaking too loudly please see the Main Library Service Desk for help in relocating to a designated quiet study area. If a person is acting in a disruptive manner please see the Main Library Service Desk.
See Also: Main Library Study Spaces
See Also: Main Library Floor Plan
Solicitation tables are not allowed in the Mail Library Learning Commons. We encourage student organizations and departments to contact the IMU to schedule tabling there.
Table tents may be used by library staff only. Unauthorized table tends will be taken down immediately.