Library Assistant II (Temp Position Van Allen Explorer Tapes Processor)
Position posted until filled
University of Iowa Libraries
TEMPORARY PROJECT HIRE
Job Title: Library Assistant II (Temp Position)
Job Code/Pay Level: GB27/08
Preservation & Conservation Department
Temporary Van Allen Explorer Tapes Processor
Part-time, Temporary (20 hrs/Week)
3 Months (April – June)
Monday-Friday, Between 8am-5pm
Location: 125 W Washington St, Iowa City
Hourly Rate: $15.91
400 Hour Limit
Start date: As soon as possible
General Responsibilities: We are seeking a processing assistant to work closely with the digital preservation librarian to inventory ~1,700 audio reels and prepare them for shipment to be digitized. The audio reels are from the James Van Allen Papers of the University Archives dating from the late 1950s through the 1960s and represent the first information gathered by the United States in space, which led directly to the discovery of the Van Allen radiation belts.
Hours: The assistant needs to be available to work 20 hrs/week, to be scheduled between 8-5, M-F.
- Create a detailed inventory of the tapes based on an existing template
- Organize the tapes to be shipped to a digitization vendor in groups of 500
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Good time management
- Demonstrated ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Experience handling rare and fragile archival materials
MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
1. Two years of library work experience, or
2. A combination of related work experience, undergraduate education, and/or post-high school library training totaling three years.
Application Procedure: To apply for this position, please visit the University of Iowa Jobs@UIOWA website at https://jobs.uiowa.edu/merit/view/020233. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.