Student employees provide critical staffing for programs and services benefiting the entire University of Iowa community. The University Libraries offers a competitive scholarship for students working in the Libraries system* as a way to recognize, support, and motivate students in their scholarship, research, and creative work at the University. The Student Employee Scholarship Fund, started and primarily funded by the staff of the University Libraries, recognizes the achievement and contributions of our fine student employees.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Full-time UI student who will be a continuing student in the following fall semester.
- Strong academic performance, excellent job performance, and in good standing with the University, with preference for a minimum GPA of 3.5
- Employed by the Libraries* for a minimum of two complete semesters (do not need to be consecutive; you may apply during your second semester if it is the spring semester when the application process occurs)
- Able to articulate why the Libraries are a crucial part of the University of Iowa.
The scholarship is awarded for one academic year as a non-refundable scholarship to pay educational expenses applied to the U-bill. The number and amount of the awards will be determined annually by the University Librarian, with a minimum of two (one for undergraduates, one for graduates), unless no applicants meet requirements.
Student employees are notified by an internal process, and a selection committee appointed by the University Librarian reviews applications and recommends award recipients.
*The University Libraries includes the Main Library, Hardin Library for the Health Sciences, and the Art, Sciences, Business, Engineering, and Music libraries. Students employed in the Law Library and other campus departmental libraries are not eligible.
- 2017 – Jeiran Hasan, Elizabeth Riordan, Clarice Kelling, and Melissa Lauer
- 2016 – Stacy Garrard and Ghyas Zeidieh