Please read this license carefully before using the software. By using this software, the licensee agrees to be bound by the terms of this license. If the licensee does not agree to the terms of this license, licensee should remove the software from his/her computer and/or return any copies of the media promptly to The Information Commons, 100 Hardin Library, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242-1098.
1. LICENSE. The Bones of the Skull: A 3-D Learning Tool (hereafter “Software”) software program and related documentation accompanying this License, whether on disk, in read-only memory, or on any other media, are licensed to you (hereafter “Licensee”) by The University of Iowa Libraries (hereafter The UI Libraries) and The Information Commons (hereafter “The Commons”). The Licensee may use the Software, but UI Libraries and Commons retain title to the Software and related documentation, which are protected by United States and International copyright laws and international trade provisions. The Licensee must treat this Software like any other copyrighted material. The UI Libraries and The Commons grant the Licensee a nonexclusive license to use one copy of the Software on a single computer and to make one copy of the Software for archival purposes. The Licensee may make copies of the Software for educational use on institutional computers as long as The Commons is notified in writing by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Licensee may make copies of the Software for distribution among students only within Licensee’s organization or institution as long as The Commons is notified in writing by e-mail at email@example.com. Licensee may not use this Software in whole or in part for any commercial enterprise.
2. RESTRICTIONS. The Software contains copyrighted material, trade secrets, and other proprietary information, and, in order to protect them, the Licensee agrees not to disassemble or otherwise reduce the Software to a human-perceivable form. The Licensee agrees not to modify, rent or lease the Software in whole or in part. The Licensee may load, distribute, or create derivative works based upon the Software in whole or in part only as long as such usage remains at the Licensee’s organization or institution and is for educational, nonprofit purposes only, and only as long as The Commons is notified in writing by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Licensee shall take reasonable precautions to prevent any unauthorized use or dissemination of the Software. Rights assigned the Licensee in this agreement are not transferable. Licensee may not use the Software in whole or in part for any commercial applications.
3. TERMINATION. This License is effective until terminated. The Licensee may terminate this License at any time by returning the original Software and related documentation and by removing the Software from any computers located that the Licensee’s organization or institution. Copies of the Software shall either be returned to The UI Libraries and The Commons or be destroyed by Licensee. If destroyed, the Licensee shall supply written verification of such destruction to The Commons at email@example.com. This License will terminate immediately without notice from The UI Libraries and The Commons if the Licensee fails to comply with any provision of this License.
4. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY ON SOFTWARE. The Licensee expressly acknowledges and agrees that use of the Software is at its sole risk. The Software and related documentation are provided “AS IS” and without warranty of any kind, and The UI Libraries and The Commons expressly disclaim all warranties, expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of fitness for a particular purpose. The UI Libraries and The Commons do not warrant that the functions contained in the Software will meet the Licensee’s requirements, or that the operation of the Software will be uninterrupted or error free, or that defects in the Software will be corrected. Furthermore, The UI Libraries and The Commons do not warrant or make any representations regarding the use or results of the use of the Software or related documentation in terms of their correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise. No oral or written information or advice given by The UI Libraries and The Commons or its authorized representative shall create a warranty or in any way increase the scope of this warranty.
5. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. Under no circumstances, including negligence, shall The UI Libraries and The Commons be liable for any incidental, special, or consequential damages that result from the use or inability to use the Software or related documentation, even if The UI Libraries and The Commons or its authorized representative has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
6. SEVERABILITY. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision of this License, or portion thereof, to be unenforceable, that provision of the License shall be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to effect the intent of the parties, and the remainder of this License shall continue in full force and effect.
7. COMPLETE AGREEMENT. This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the use of the Software and related documentation, and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous understandings or agreements, written or oral, regarding such subject matter. No amendment to or modification of this License will be binding unless in writing and signed by a duly authorized representative of The UI Libraries and The Commons.
(In Plain Words)
You want to make copies or load on your institutional computers? Great! Just notify us by sending e-mail. We’ll update your record to reflect number of copies.
You want to duplicate the software on CD-ROM and distribute to students? Great! Just notify us. We want numbers in distribution.
You want to duplicate the software and charge people? Not great. Definitely not allowed. This product is to be FREE for educational uses.