A division of musicology was first established at the University in 1948 under Albert T. Luper. Rita Benton was the first music specialist to be appointed in 1952 to complete the reclassification from Dewey to the Library of Congress classification scheme. In 1957 when the
School of Music expanded to nearby Eastlawn, the remodeled basement became the Music Library, and Dr. Benton was appointed as the first music librarian. In the summer of 1971 the School of Music moved to its new quarters on the banks of the Iowa River (now known as the Voxman Music Building). She remained part-time music librarian and Professor of Music until her death in 1980. Later that year, the library was dedicated the Rita Benton Music Library in recognition of her service to the University and her contributions to music librarianship and musicology.