The University of Iowa Libraries

Skip to content
print page banner

A Pictorial History: The Emerging University Library – 1855-1951

North Hall
Summer 1882 – 1901

The second floor of North Hall had served as a chapel, and when the library moved in during the summer of 1882, the chapel room had to be divided; the north half given over to the library stacks, while the south half served as a combined reading room and chapel. Eventually the stained glass window was replaced with clear class to improve the lighting.  Ada North and Joseph Rich had made repeated requests in their annual reports to the Regents that the building was unsafe, and that a fireproof library building was needed.

Librarians:
Bertha G. Ridgway
Joseph W. Rich
Ada N. North

Additional North Hall images are available in the Iowa Digital LibraryIowa City Town and Campus Scenes collection:

North Hall 1866 (On Pentacrest)
North Hall

North Hall before fire

Before 1897

North Hall Interior

1896

North Hall

Before 1897