The University of Iowa Libraries

Skip to content
print page header

A Pictorial History: The Emerging University Library – 1855-1951

Central Hall (Old Capitol)
1859 – 1882

Old Capitol

Pentacrest in winter, The University of Iowa, 1869

In 1859 the library moved to the Old Capitol building where the west half of the former Senate Chamber had been made into a library room.  In 1878, due to lack of space, the library and reading room was moved to the north end of the first floor.

Librarians:
Ada N. North
Amos N. Currier, Professor of Latin
Joseph T. Robert
Anson Hart, Secretary and Librarian
Theodore S. Parvin, Professor of Natural History
D. Franklin Wells, Professor, Normal Department

Additional Old Capitol images are available in the Iowa Digital Library – Iowa City Town and Campus Scenes collection.