What do understanding an abstract, avoiding plagiarism, formatting a bibliography, and picking a research topic have in common? All require information literacy, the set of skills needed to find, retrieve, analyze, and use information. These skills help guide students through the entire research process.
You’ve got a lot to cover in your semester already. The Libraries can help.
What we can offer you:
In the Matching Program, Rhetoric instructors are matched with a librarian who will serve as library contact person or consultant. We can provide you with:
- An in-class session to help your students with an assignment
- A quick orientation to library resources
- Recommended resources to complement your assignments
- Help teaching your students to find and evaluate resources
- An introduction to the subject liaison in your field
- A widget with research tips to add to your class ICON page
In addition, we have digital content you can share with your students, including:
- An audio tour of the library (available as a podcast)
- A subject guide specially built for Rhetoric students
- Video tutorials on library topics, which you can share through ICON
(Want something else we haven’t made a video of yet? Let us know and we’ll make it happen.)
If you are a Rhetoric graduate instructor and have not yet been given the name of a librarian who will serve as your library resource person, contact Kelly McElroy.
- List of 2012 matches
- List of 2011 matches
- List of 2010 matches
- List of 2009 matches
- List of 2008 matches
What we can offer your students in a library session:
Fill out this form to request a library session for your students. Your matching librarian will reply to schedule and craft a session to meet your needs. It is important to link the library session to a course assignment: please try to schedule your session for 2 weeks before the assignment is due. You should plan to be present the day of the session.
For more information, please contact
Kelly McElroy, Undergraduate Services Librarian
Main Library, The University of Iowa Libraries