Digital Research & Publishing provides a variety of publishing services for various materials, including:
- E-journals (e.g. Walt Whitman Quarterly Review, Medieval Feminist Forum, and Iowa Journal of Cultural Studies)
- E-books (e.g. University of Iowa Faculty Books)
- Reference databases (e.g. The Biographical Dictionary of Iowa and Iowa Prairie Plants)
- Grey literature and institutional records (e.g. Health Policy Research)
- Out of print books (e.g. Singular Lives and http://digital.lib.uiowa.edu/cdm/search/collection/uidb)
- Unpublished manuscripts (e.g. Civil War Diaries and Cookbooks)
- Image and media collections (e.g. Iowa City Foreign Relation Council Presentations, Iowa City Town and Campus Scenes)
- Research collections (e.g. Madurese Storyteller Videos, Presidential Campaign Videos, and New Media & Politics)
- Digital editions with rich media (e.g. Paper Through Time and Joseph F. Culver Civil War Letters)
Future publishing will include:
- Research datasets
- Maps and geospatial data
- Open educational resources
Our journal-hosting service is part of a larger initiative at the Libraries to help advance new forms of scholarly publishing. The journals are accessible through Iowa Research Online
Our services include:
- training your editorial team to use the editorial management software
- creating a customized web site for your journal
- migrating back issues into your journal site (including scanning and metadata creation)
- helping you draft author copyright guidelines
- offering long-term digital preservation
All editorial activities—including copy-editing, proofreading, and page composition—are the responsibility of the participating academic unit or publishing program.
Types of journals:
- scholarly journals published by University of Iowa
- literary journals published by University of Iowa
- society publications with University of Iowa editors (all editors do not need to be at Iowa)
This publishing platform is well suited for open access titles or titles that become open access after an embargo of no more than 24 months.
We offer online hosting and long-term preservation of proceedings, papers, and supplemental materials for all UI-affiliated conferences. This service is part of a larger effort to support the scholarly activities of the University. All materials are made accessible through Iowa Research Online. Please browse an example of the work we have done in the past. For administrative and logistical management services for your conference, please contact the UI Center for Conferences for their service offerings.
Making Your Books Available
If you have copyright for a book or thesis, we can work with you to make it freely available. You would still retain copyright and can decide what rights you want to retain. If you would like to make your thesis or dissertation available, please use this form. If you would like to make your book accessible, if it is in HathiTrust, we can help you with their form to make the full text available. If it is not in HathiTrust, please use this form.