DALE M. BENTZ
January 1982 – August 1986
Dale Bentz had served at the University of Tennessee, Duke University, and the University of North Carolina before coming to Iowa in June, 1953, as Associate Director of Libraries. He was named University Librarian in 1970 and retained that title when he became the Libraries’ chief executive officer following the retirement of Leslie Dunlap in 1981.
Bentz was instrumental in a significant expansion of the library system that included building of the Hardin Library for the Health Sciences. He linked the Libraries with other major libraries through membership in RLG (Research Libraries Group), a move that led to the beginning of computerization and automation at Iowa. With others, Bentz helped establish the UI Center for the Study of Recent American History, and worked to expand special collection holdings. Bentz attracted the late William Anthony to the UI Libraries, which helped establish the Libraries’ Conservation Department.
Bentz earned an A.B. from Gettysburg College, a B.S.L.S. from the University of North Carolina, and an M.S. at the University of Illinois.