The University of Iowa Libraries

Skip to content
print page header

A Pictorial History: The New Library Building – “Main Library”

The North Entrace

Darling Cartoons

North entrance of the Main Library, the University of Iowa, 1950s. (Iowa Digital Library: http://digital.lib.uiowa.edu/cdm/ref/collection/ictcs/id/17680)

The Des Moines Register cartoonist “Ding” Darling was commissioned to draw the panels over the library’s entrance.  The nine panels “trace the development from cave men to the in-one-ear-out-the-other student of today.” (Look, June 16, 1953)

The cartoons panels are now on display on the fourth floor of the Main Library.