The University of Iowa Libraries welcomes and serves all, including people of color from all nations, immigrants, people with disabilities, LGBTQ, and the most vulnerable in our community. We safeguard the human right to access information. We offer educational resources that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we strive to build collections that reflect all points of view on current and historical issues.
Diversity initiatives within the UI Libraries
ACRL Diversity Alliance — The University of Iowa Libraries is a charter member of the ACRL Diversity Alliance, an organization that unites academic libraries that share a commitment to increase the hiring pipeline of qualified, talented individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups.
As a member of this Alliance, the UI Libraries has:
- Established a residency program for at least one individual that lasts a minimum of two years (three years preferred).
- Committed to designing experiences at the local level to expand the residents’ interests and skills, e.g., mentorships, rotation through other library units, etc.
- Agreed to serve as a resource, i.e., advisors and guides, to those institutions participating in the ACRL Diversity Alliance.
- Provided at a minimum the same level of professional development support provided other library faculty/staff/employees.
- Provided a salary for the resident commensurate with the salaries of equivalent entry-level library professionals.
Staff Development & Diversity Program Team — The UI values diversity among students, faculty, and staff and believes that a rich diversity of people serve to enhance the quality of the educational experience at the UI. This belief is guided by three foundational commitments and seven core values that direct planning, setting priorities, and “carrying out every aspect of its [the University’s] mission.” Diversity, a core value, and Inclusion, a foundational commitment, are two of these directives. We therefore seek to expand our awareness and understanding of the diversity of our community and promote inclusion – within the Libraries’, the University, and beyond.
This Team advises the Coordinator of Staff Development & Diversity Programming on the development of programs for Libraries’ staff. Specifically, the Team identifies, recommends, promotes, and assists in the delivery of programs for all Libraries’ staff that will:
- expand their awareness of diversity issues;
- expand their awareness of relevant services, faculty scholarship, and university initiatives taking place at the UI;
- expand their awareness of trends and issues in librarianship;
- expand their supervisory, managerial, and leadership skills;
- support and expand their awareness of wellness, safety, financial health, and other, similar university goals.