Hall of Liberal Arts (Schaeffer Hall)
The General Collection
1901 – 1907
In June 1901 the library moved from North Hall to the new Hall of Liberal Arts, to the “large room at south end of third story.” Space was so limited in this area that several departmental libraries were established as well as certain specialized libraries. The general collection retained the books belonging to English, Political Science, Political Economy, Sociology, and History, and others not falling to any special department. Shelves were also built in the corridor, and all state documents were placed in the office of the Professor of Political Economy.
After the general collection moved from Schaeffer Hall, space in the building continued to serve different library functions. See former departmental libraries.
Bertha G. Ridgway