Papers of Charles A. Schaeffer
Access and Restrictions: This collection is open for research.
Digital Surrogates: Except where indicated, this document describes but does not reproduce the actual text, images and objects which make up this collection. Materials are available only in the Special Collections Department.
Copyright: Please read The University of Iowa Libraries' statement on Property Rights, Copyright Law, and Permissions to Use Unpublished Materials.
Use of Collections: The University of Iowa Libraries supports access to the materials, published and unpublished, in its collections. Nonetheless, access to some items may be restricted by their fragile condition or by contractual agreement with donors, and it may not be possible at all times to provide appropriate machinery for reading, viewing or accessing non-paper-based materials. Please read our Use of Manuscripts Statement.
Acquisition and Processing Information: These papers were transferred to the University Archives from the Office of the President; date unknown. Guide posted to the Internet December 2006.
Charles Ashmead Schaeffer served as the seventh president of the State University of Iowa, from 1887 to 1898.
The Hon. William R. Boyd, a former chairman of the Iowa State Board of Education, once said Schaeffer “was the [University of Iowa’s] first president who sensed what a modern university would be.” Indeed, in his June 22, 1887, inaugural address, “The Development of the University,” Schaeffer called for a larger library, more classrooms, and, above all, a commitment of financial support from Iowans. The result was a continuing tax to support the university so that the school would no longer depend solely on biennial appropriations.
Schaeffer was only 17 years old when he completed his Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Pennsylvania in 1861. Following service in the Union Army, he attended the Lawrence Scientific School of Harvard University and in 1869 earned his Doctor of Philosophy degree at the University of Goettingen. From then until 1887, he was a member of the faculty at Cornell University.
The Pentacrest building that bears his name opened in 1902, five years after Schaeffer turned the first sod on the site. It was initially known as the Hall of Liberal Arts; it was renamed in Schaeffer’s honor in 1934.
Schaeffer was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, on August 14, 1843. In 1871, he married Evelyn Schuyler of Ithaca, New York, and they had four children. Schaeffer died on September 23, 1898, at age 55.
[D. McCartney; 12/2006]
Catalogs of the University, 1887-1898 (RG 01.08)
Records of the Board of Trustees and Board of Regents, 1847-1909 (RG 04.01)
Manuscript File Collection (RG 01.01.01)
Box Contents List
Correspondence; 0.25 ft.
Daybook; 0.25 ft.
General files; 2.5 ft.