Skip navigation

The University of Iowa Libraries

Special Collections and University Archives

Finding Aid

Arthur A. Smith Collection of Photographs
RG 30.01.16
Collection Dates: 1875-1938
0.5 linear ft.

Access and Restrictions: This collection is open for research.

Digital Surrogates: Except where indicated, this document describes but does not reproduce the actual text, images and objects which make up this collection. Materials are available only in the Special Collections Department.

Copyright: Please read The University of Iowa Libraries' statement on Property Rights, Copyright Law, and Permissions to Use Unpublished Materials.

Use of Collections: The University of Iowa Libraries supports access to the materials, published and unpublished, in its collections. Nonetheless, access to some items may be restricted by their fragile condition or by contractual agreement with donors, and it may not be possible at all times to provide appropriate machinery for reading, viewing or accessing non-paper-based materials. Please read our Use of Manuscripts Statement.

Acquisition and Processing Information: Guide posted to the Internet January 2007.

Photographs: Box 1

Moving Old Science (later Calvin Hall) across the street, 1904
Moving Science Hall (later Calvin Hall) across Jefferson Street

Scope and Contents

The Arthur A. Smith Collection includes three albums with photographic prints of campus buildings stapled to pages.  Most images have brief captions.  These photographs are from the Grounds and Buildings Department and many pre-date the years Smith was employed there, 1922-1941.  This collection is useful to researchers interested in the planning and design of the campus during past decades.

Biographical Note

Arthur Allen Smith was born August 29, 1884 in Roseville, Illinois.  He received his B.Di. in 1904 and M. Di 1905 at the Iowa State Teachers College.  He received his B.S. degree at the State University of Iowa in 1915 and the C.E. degree in 1920.  As a student at SUI, he was a member of Sigma Xi.  He married Floy Graham Smith and the couple had a daughter, Ruthelaine, born in 1915.

Smith was working as superintendent of buildings in the Garfield, Iowa, school building in January 1922.  He was employed there by the Des Moines School  Board to oversee construction of a project, not yet completed, when he and J. M. Fisk of the SUI Buildings and Grounds Department began corresponding regarding Smith joining the staff at the State University of Iowa. 
He did join the SUI staff later in 1922 as the assistant superintendent of Grounds and Buildings.  He was acting superintendent in charge of maintenance from 1932 to 1934 and was named superintendent  from 1934 to 1941.  Arthur Allen Smith died April 11, 1955.

Box Contents List

Three photo albums: "Iowa River Improvement," "Early Campus Scenes," and "Terrell Dam - Union - Early Plat Maps." About 100 images.