Skip navigation

The University of Iowa Libraries

Special Collections and University Archives

Finding Aid

Medical and Hospital Lantern Slides Collection
RG 30.02.02
Collection Dates: 1892-1925
1.0 linear ft.

Access and Restrictions: This collection is open for research.

Digital Surrogates: Except where indicated, this document describes but does not reproduce the actual text, images and objects which make up this collection. Materials are available only in the Special Collections Department.

Copyright: Please read The University of Iowa Libraries' statement on Property Rights, Copyright Law, and Permissions to Use Unpublished Materials.

Use of Collections: The University of Iowa Libraries supports access to the materials, published and unpublished, in its collections. Nonetheless, access to some items may be restricted by their fragile condition or by contractual agreement with donors, and it may not be possible at all times to provide appropriate machinery for reading, viewing or accessing non-paper-based materials. Please read our Use of Manuscripts Statement.

Acquisition and Processing Information: Guide posted to the Internet September 2009.

Photographs: Lantern slides only

SUI Medical faculty, 1892

             Medical faculty, 1892
          1893 Hawkeye yearbook

          Image from this collection

Scope and Contents

Collection of glass lantern slides of medical and hospital buildings, individual medical faculty, and groups of faculty and medical graduates.  Slides are listed in alphabetical order.  Photographer unknown.

[D. Anderson; 09/2009]

Box Contents List

Box 1

Buildings Series:

General Hospital. Floor plan.

General Hospital. Surgery Recovery Room floor plan.

Medical Building. First SUI building distinctly for medical purposes. Constructed in 1882 and destroyed by fire in 1901.

Medical Building on the Pentacrest. View of east facade.

Medical Education Building.

Medical Laboratories Building. Floor plan of first floor.

Medical Laboratories Building. Floor plan of fourth floor.

Medical Laboratory Building. Located on west side of river.

Old Chemistry Building.

Old South Hall.

Pentacrest buildings. Physical Lab, Dental Building, Natural Science Building.

University Hospital. Later named Seashore Hall. 1898.

Faculty Portraits Series:

Andrews, Lancelot W. Professor of Chemistry.

Bierring, Walter L., M.D. Professor of Histology, Bacteriology, and Pathology.

Boerner, Emil Louis. Professor and dean of Pharmacy.

Calvin, Samuel. Professor of Zoology, Botany, and Natural Science; First head of Geology Department.

Chase, Charles S. Professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics.

Dalbey, James William, M.D. Professor of Ophthalmology and Otology.

Guthrie, James Renwick, M.D. Professor of physiology and Microscopic Anatomy.

Harriman, John W., M.D. Demonstrator of Anatomy; Secretary of medical faculty.

Hill, Gershom Hyde, M.D. Lecturer on Insanity.

Hutchinson, Woods, M.D. Professor of Anatomy.

Littig, Lawrence W., M.D. Professor of Theory and Practice of Medicine and Clinical Medicine.

Middleton, William D., M.D. Professor of Surgery.

Peters, Alfred Charles, M.D. Lecturer on Laryngology and Rhinology.

Rockwood, Elbert William. Professor of Chemistry and Toxicology.

Shrader, John Clinton, M.D. Professor of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women; Dean of medical faculty.

Whiteis, William R., M.D. Demonstrator of Pathological Histology.

Unidentified men. Portraits of ten individuals.

Groups of people:

College of Medicine graduating class of 1925.

Graduation procession.

Medical faculty of 1892. Images appear in 1893 Hawkeye yearbook.

---. Hill, McLean, Parker, Calvin, Peters, Harriman, Dalbey, Rockwood.

---. Farnsworth, Middleton, Shrader, Schaeffer, Peck, Littig, Guthrie, Hutchinson.

Medical Department group. Two slides.