MsC 83 

Manuscript Register 


Collection Dates: 1916 -- 1961
.25 linear ft.

This document describes a collection of materials held by the
Special Collections Department
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1420
Phone: 319-335-5921
Fax: 319-335-5900

Posted to Internet: June 2002
Addendum: June 2005, 2009

The factory of the Linograph Company at Front and Scott Streets in Davenport, Iowa.

Acquisition Note: Materials in this collection were received from Charles Dunham, Deep River, Iowa, September 5, 1969, from Mrs. Robert Swaney, Dixon, Illinois, September 4, 1970, from Jim Moyer in 2005, and from Jim Daggs in 2009.

Access and Restrictions: This collection is open for research

Photographs: Box 1

Digital Surrogates: Except where indicated, this document describes but does not reproduce the actual text, images and objects which make up this collection. Materials are available only in the Special Collections Department.

Copyright:  Please read The University of Iowa Libraries' statement on "Property Rights, Copyright Law, and Permissions to Use Unpublished Materials"

Use of Collections:  The University of Iowa Libraries supports access to the materials, published and unpublished, in its collections. Nonetheless, access to some items may be restricted by their fragile condition or by contractual agreement with donors, and it may not be possible at all times to provide appropriate machinery for reading, viewing or accessing non-paper-based materials. Please read our Use of Manuscripts Statement.


The Linograph was developed by Hans Petersen (1872 -- 1924). Born in Denmark, Petersen emigrated with his parents at the age of ten and by the time he was twelve began working as a compositor in Scandinavian printing shops in the Minneapolis area. Trained on the Linotype, he developed ideas for a simpler and more efficient typecaster which, with two brothers, he developed into the Linograph Corporation, incorporated in Minneapolis in 1911 and moved to Davenport, Iowa, in 1912. The Linograph Corporation was bought by Intertype in January of 1944. (Source: Eckman, James. The Heritage of the Printer, pp. 31 -- 35.)

Scope and Contents

The Linograph Corporation includes parts catalogs, instructions manuals, and other technical information about the Linograph machine. It also includes historical information about the company, including a photograph and business card of Hans Petersen.


Instructions for Linograph Operators

Price List: Linograph Parts and Supplies: Models 1 and 3

Linograph Specimen Book of Type Faces and Borders

Simplicity That Reduces Typesetting Costs. Linograph Models 1 and 3

Catalogue of Linograph Parts and Supplies, Models 1 and 3

Catalogue, 1916. Gift of James Moyer.

Simplicity That Reduces Typesetting Costs. Linograph Models 1 and 3

The Linograph "50"

Wingéd Words

Le Penseur qui a transformé le travail en un jeu

The Story of the Linograph

The Slug (issues for January and August 1923) (house organ of Linograph Company)

"Hans Petersen and His Linograph Machine," by Dr. James Eckman (clipping from Printing Impressions, April 1961)

Business card of Hans Petersen

Photo of Hans Petersen

Folder describing Model 12 Linograph

Letter from Dr. James Eckman, Rochester, Minnesota, to Mrs. Robert C. Swaney, January 27, 1961

Letter from Dr. James Eckman, Rochester, Minnesota, to Mrs. Robert C. Swaney, April 5, 1961

  2005 Addendum

1916 Linograph catalog. Gift of Jim Moyer

2009 Addendum

Gift of Jim Daggs

Copies of two letters from the Linograph corporation

Photograph taken in 1974 at the Deep River, Iowa, Record office of a Model 5 Linograph. In the background is a Linotype Comet. Color photocopy

Color photocopy of an article from 1919 in the print shop where The Maywood Eagle-Reporter was printed.

Photocopies of advertisements for the Linograph Corporation that appeared in trade journals. Approximately 30 pages

Reproductions of two Linograph catalogs, circa 1920. Produced by Jim Daggs of the Ackley Publishing Company, Inc., Ackley, Iowa

CD containing images of all the above