Collection Dates: 1971 -- 1982
1.5 linear ft.
This document describes a collection of materials held
Special Collections Department
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1420
Posted to Internet: February 1998
records were given to the University of Iowa Libraries in 1982 by Robert R.
Box 2 , box 3
, box 3
Digital Surrogates: Except where indicated, this document describes but does not reproduce the actual text, images and objects which make up this collection. Materials are available only in the Special Collections Department.
Copyright: Please read The University of Iowa Libraries' statement on "Property Rights, Copyright Law, and Permissions to Use Unpublished Materials"
Use of Collections: The University of Iowa Libraries supports access to the materials, published and unpublished, in its collections. Nonetheless, access to some items may be restricted by their fragile condition or by contractual agreement with donors, and it may not be possible at all times to provide appropriate machinery for reading, viewing or accessing non-paper-based materials. Please read our Use of Manuscripts Statement.
The building known
as Old Brick is located at 26 E. Market Street in Iowa City, Iowa. Originally
the home of the First Presbyterian Church, its construction was completed in
1850, making it one of the oldest surviving buildings in Iowa City. The Romanesque
revival architecture was heavily damaged by fire in 1856, and the present structure
is the result of the post-fire rebuilding. In 1877. The one hundred fifty three
foot spire collapsed and was replaced by the present battlement. When the congregation
of the First Presbyterian Church decided to build a new church building, the
fate of Old Brick came into question. Whether the building would be razed or
saved became a controversial issue, not just within the church but throughout
the entire community. In 1973, as part of an on-going effort to save the building,
it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The records of Old
Brick date from 1971 to 1982 (with clippings from the 19th century) and consist
of 1.5 linear feet of documents. The records deal primarily with the efforts
to save Old Brick. Many related groups were formed for this purpose
including the Old Brick Associates, Ltd., the Old Brick Legal Defense League,
and Friends of Old Brick. Historical background material, correspondence, photographs,
restoration plans, real estate and zoning material, petitions, and newspaper
clippings all relate to efforts to preserve this building. These labors were
eventually successful. Old Brick still stands on the corner of Market and Clinton
Street near downtown Iowa City.
Clippings, 1868 -- 1890, 1974 -- 1978, some Xerox copies.
Consultant Service Grant -- National Trust for Historic Preservation, 1976.
1977 -- 1978.
Division of Historic Preservation -- State Historical Department of Iowa, 1977 -- 1981.
Friends of Old Brick -- Minutes, 1978 -- 1979.
Legal and court related documents, 1976 -- 1979. Includes briefs, court orders, lease agreements, bills of sale, etc.
Miscellaneous, 1976 -- 1980 and undated.
Nolan, John -- Material used during court hearing, 1974 -- 1976. Includes notes taken during the proceedings.
"Notes Toward a History of Old Brick and Its Preservation," by Robert R. Dykstra, August 26, 1977. Includes the final draft and research notes.
Old Brick Associates, Ltd.
Articles and certificate of limited partnership, 1976 -- 1977.
Finances, 1976 -- 1980.
Tax material, 1977.
Old Brick Defense League
Articles of incorporation and bylaws, 1976 -- 1977.
Old Brick Defense League (cont.)
Finances, 1976 -- 1977.
Tax material, 1976.
"Old Brick Preserved" - Brochure and rough draft written by Robert R. Dykstra.
Photographs, 1976 -- 1977.
Real estate and zoning material, 1977 -- 1978.
Research papers, 1977. Written for the HIstoric Restoration Management class taught by Dr. Margaret Keyes.
1977 -- 1980.
Correspondence, 1971 -- 1982.
Friends of Old Brick
Articles of incorporation and bylaws, 1975, 1977.
Old Brick Limited Partnership, 1978 -- 1981.
Historical background material, 1978.
M. Willard Lampe Foundation, 1975.
Newspaper clippings, 1974 -- 1976.
Old Brick Associates
Annual meeting minutes, 1977 -- 1981.
Tax returns, 1979, 1982.
Clippings. Gift of the James van Allen family