Liddell-Westefeld Congressional Candidate Oral History Collection
Access and Restrictions: This collection is open for research. The Blouin interview is under seal until April 27, 2014 .
Digital Surrogates: Except where indicated, this document describes but does not reproduce the actual text, images and objects which make up this collection. Materials are available only in the Special Collections Department.
Copyright: Please read The University of Iowa Libraries' statement on Property Rights, Copyright Law, and Permissions to Use Unpublished Materials.
Use of Collections: The University of Iowa Libraries supports access to the materials, published and unpublished, in its collections. Nonetheless, access to some items may be restricted by their fragile condition or by contractual agreement with donors, and it may not be possible at all times to provide appropriate machinery for reading, viewing or accessing non-paper-based materials. Please read our Use of Manuscripts Statement.
Acquisition and Processing Information: Gift of Chris Liddell-Westefeld, 2007.
Scope and Contents
In Spring 2007, Chris Liddell-Westefeld, an undergraduate History student at the University of Iowa, interviewed eleven Iowans who had run, unsuccessfully, for U.S. Congressional seats, focusing on the reasons they had in standing for election and on their campaigns. This project was part of an independent study project overseen by Professor Shelton Stromquist. Liddell-Westefeld obtained releases from each interviewee and transcribed the interviews. The first ten transcripts and release forms are in the first series of folders; the cassette tape recordings in the second series.
One interview, with Michael Blouin, candidate for Governor of Iowa in 2006, is restricted for seven years from the date of recording: it was not transcribed and is not available without Blouin’s written permission until April 27, 2014.
Box Contents List
Note: The following format follows the model: Folder number: content
1. Elaine Baxter. Challenged Representative Jim Lightfoot in 1992 and 1994.
2. Rick Dickinson. Ran for open House seat in 2006; defeated in the primary election by Bruce Braley.
3. Jean Lloyd-Jones. Challenged Senator Chuck Grassley in 1992.
4. Dick Myers. Challenged Representative Jim Leach in 1978.
5. David Osterberg. Challenged Senator Chuck Grassley in 1998.
6. Bob Rush. Challenged Representative Jim Leach in 1996 and 1998.
7. Art Small. Challenged Senator Chuck Grassley in 2004.
8. Steve Sovern. Challenged Representative Tom Tauke in 1980. Ran for open House seat in 1990; defeated in primary election by Eric Tabor.
9. Eric Tabor. Challenged Representative Tom Tauke in 1986 and 1988. Ran for open House seat in 1990; defeated in general election by Jim Nussle.
10. Rob Tully. Challenged Representative Jim Nussle in 1998.
11. Cassette recording of interviews with Baxter; Dickinson; Lloyd-Jones; Myers.
12. ----. Osterberg; Rush; Small.
13. ----. Sovern (2 tapes); Tabor; Tully
14. Michael Blouin (challenged Chet Culver and others for Governor in 2006; lost in primary). This interview was not transcribed, and the recording is restricted until April 27, 2014.