Byron James Lambert Collection of Photographs
Access and Restrictions: This collection is open for research.
Digital Surrogates: Except where indicated, this document describes but does not reproduce the actual text, images and objects which make up this collection. Materials are available only in the Special Collections Department.
Copyright: Please read The University of Iowa Libraries' statement on Property Rights, Copyright Law, and Permissions to Use Unpublished Materials.
Use of Collections: The University of Iowa Libraries supports access to the materials, published and unpublished, in its collections. Nonetheless, access to some items may be restricted by their fragile condition or by contractual agreement with donors, and it may not be possible at all times to provide appropriate machinery for reading, viewing or accessing non-paper-based materials. Please read our Use of Manuscripts Statement.
Acquisition and Processing Information: The Byron James Lambert Collection of Photographs was donated to the University of Iowa Archives by Brian Glenister, a professor of geology, in February 1985. Guide posted to the Internet January 2007.
Photographs: Entire collection
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of about 150 black and white images depicting various campus scenes, both interior and exterior, as well as construction sites of several notable campus landmarks.
It is believed that the photographs were taken during the 1930's by Byron James Lambert (1874-1953), a long-time professor and head of the Department of Civil Engineering at the State University of Iowa. The donor of this collection, Brian Glenister, professor emeritus of geology, speculated so in an undated memorandum accompanying this collection. According to Glenister, J. Leavitt Lambert, a son of Prof. Lambert's, inherited and cared for the photographs following the elder Lambert's death. The younger Lambert was employed by the Department of Geology, where he stored the collection until his death in 1972. The photographs eventually came into Prof. Glenister's possession and were transferred to the University Archives in 1985.
Box Contents List
Collection information, including undated memorandum by collection donor Brian Glenister
Iowa Memorial Union Footbridge construction
Botanical Laboratory construction
Currier Hall exterior construction and finished interior
Engineering Building; Hydraulic Laboratory Building
Fine Arts Building construction and interior
Law Commons (later International Center)
Iowa Memorial Union interiors, utilities, and reading room
Boat House, Power Plant, Quadrangle, Hospital ice machine, Field House, Music Building east wing, utility pipes (one photo includes workers), Water Plant
Theater Building construction and completion
Vinton Power Plant (one photo includes workers)
Summer home for Dr. Peterson