Amos Currier Scrapbooks Collection
Access and Restrictions: This collection is open for research.
Digital Surrogates: Except where indicated, this document describes but does not reproduce the actual text, images and objects which make up this collection. Materials are available only in the Special Collections Department.
Copyright: Please read The University of Iowa Libraries' statement on Property Rights, Copyright Law, and Permissions to Use Unpublished Materials.
Use of Collections: The University of Iowa Libraries supports access to the materials, published and unpublished, in its collections. Nonetheless, access to some items may be restricted by their fragile condition or by contractual agreement with donors, and it may not be possible at all times to provide appropriate machinery for reading, viewing or accessing non-paper-based materials. Please read our Use of Manuscripts Statement.
Acquisition and Processing Information: These papers were donated to the University Archives by the Office of the President; date undetermined. Guide posted to the Internet March 2009.
Amos N. Currier, ca. 1880
Scope and Contents
The Amos Currier Scrapbooks Collection contains printed graduation programs and student guide books. This material was collected by Amos Currier during his 42-year association with the University. Scrapbook number two is missing from this collection of ten.
Amos Noyes Currier was born in Canaan, New Hampshire, on October 13, 1832. He attended Kimball Union Academy at Meriden, New Hampshire. He received his A.B. and A.M. degrees from Dartmouth College in 1856 and 1859.
In 1857, Amos Currier was professor of ancient languages (Latin and Greek) at Central University of Iowa, in Pella, Iowa. According to the Souvenir and Annual for 1881-82, Currier enlisted as a private in the 8th Iowa Infantry in August 1861. He was taken prisoner at Pittsburgh Landing in April 1862, where he remained until he was exchanged in 1863. Currier served during the remainder of the war in the 11th Missouri regiment as commissary. When the Civil War ended in 1865, he returned to his teaching position at Central University of Iowa.
Currier was named head of ancient languages and literature at the State University of Iowa in 1867. When the department became too large in 1869 for one professor to administer, Currier was named head of Latin language and literature, while Professor Leonard F. Parker was named head of Greek language. In addition to these duties, Currier served as University Librarian 1870-1879. He was named dean of Collegiate Department in 1888, which was renamed the College of Liberal Arts in 1900. Amos Noyes Currier served as the interim University of Iowa President during 1898 to 1899, following the death of President Charles A. Schaeffer and before George E. MacLean took office.
Amos Currier married Celia A. Moore of Vienna, Ohio, in September 1868. The couple met at Pella, where she taught mathematics. They had a son, Albert, and a daughter, Mrs. Roy Cook. Celia taught mathematics and Latin at S.U.I. from 1867 to 1874 and was an assistant to her husband for one year during this time. Amos Currier had served the University 40 years when he acquired emeritus status in 1907. He died of pneumonia on May 15, 1909. A State University of Iowa women's dormitory was constructed in 1914 and named Currier Hall in honor of Amos Noyes Currier and his wife, Celia.
Folder, "Currier, Amos," Faculty and Staff Vertical Files collection (RG 01.15.03)
Papers of Amos Noyes Currier (RG 05.01.05)
Currier, Amos. Tables of Latin Suffixes and a List of Prefixes. Philadelphia: Eldridge & Brother.,1873.
Box Contents List
Scrapbook I (1888-1908)
---. Hall of Liberal Arts (Macbride Hall) planning, corner stone contents, blue floor plans, 1897-1900
---. YMCA handbooks, some including student names and addresses 1888-1904; YWCA membership card for 1891-1892; Close Hall (housed YMCA)
---. University Extension lectures outlines, 1892-1908
---. Phi Beta Kappa, 1895-1908
Scrapbook III (1883-1901)
---. Commencement programs
Scrapbook IV (1864-1905)
---. Literary Societies
Scrapbook V (1871-1903)
---. Music and theatre programs
---. Contests and debates
Scrapbook VI (1872-1906)
---. Commencement invitations
Scrapbook VII (1874-1908)
---. Class Day exercises, including lyrics and sheet music to Old Gold
Scrapbook VIII (1889-1904)
---. Classification of colleges
---. Comparisons to other Iowa colleges, now-defunct, 1894
Scrapbook IX (1873-1901)
---. Correspondence of the Board of Regents
---. Architects drawings of proposed Iowa City hospital
---. Museum of Natural History floor plan, 1898
Scrapbook X (1877-1907)
---. Commencement programs, 1878-1907
---. Baccalaureate exercises, 1899-1906
---. Miscellaneous programs, 1877-1907
---. Iowa Historical Building, Des Moines, corner stone ceremony, May 17, 1899
---. Alumni Association reunion banquets, 1877-1907