Check-Out, Renewal, and Fine Policies for Interlibrary Loan Materials
Faculty, P&S Staff, Graduate Students, Undergraduates and Merit Staff:
- Interlibrary Loan materials are given a due date that is determined by the lending library; note that the lending library can recall a loaned item, resulting in an earlier due date.
- Renewals are possible for most materials and must be requested from the Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery service website: http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/services/illdd.
- A $100 replacement fee (possibly refundable upon return of the item) is assessed if an item is not returned within 30 days of the date due. If the lending library determines the replacement cost value is higher or lower than $100, you will be charged or credited accordingly.
- A $40.00 non-refundable fine and $100 replacement cost fee (refundable upon return of item) is assessed if a recalled item is not returned within 10 days of the first recall notification. If the lending library determines the replacement cost value is higher or lower than $100, you will be charged or credited accordingly.
Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery Account
To view personal loans, click on “View/Renewed Checked Out Items” in your Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery account. The Loans list show due dates, items recalled, and any overdue or billed items. This list may be especially helpful in locating items prior to renewal or return.
All materials are checked out with a due date visible on the strap that is attached to the front cover of the material. Due dates also appear on your loans list in your Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery account.
Recall Due Dates
All items checked out can be recalled by the lending library. The Interlibrary Loan Staff will send you a recalled item email notice alerting you to the importance of returning the item within 10 days. Promptly returning recalled materials is of the utmost importance. Being out of town or failing to maintain a current address will not be considered a valid excuse for delayed return of recalled items. If you are going to be unreachable by email notice, please either return your library materials or ensure that someone else can respond to your notices and return your materials in a timely fashion.
Interlibrary Loan recall, item available, courtesy and overdue notices are sent via e-mail. Please check your e-mail account at least twice a week. It may be helpful to create an e-mail filter so that notices aren’t missed. University of Iowa e-mail can be accessed from any web-enabled computer. Students, staff, and faculty are responsible for checking their University of Iowa email or establishing a routing address. Your current e-mail and mailing address for the Interlibrary Loan Department can be viewed through the “Change User Information” in your Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery account. Notices will only be sent via surface mail if there is no e-mail option.
If you receive a courtesy, overdue, renewal denied, or recall notice for an item, please return or renew the item. (Note that recalled material cannot be renewed.) If you are sure that the item has been returned, or you have lost library materials, please immediately e-mail, call or come in to the notifying department. If an item is reported lost to us before it is recalled by the lending library, the $40 recall fee will be waived. It is helpful if you have any relevant notices with you when you contact staff.
When an item is returned damaged to the Interlibrary Loan department and the lending library has decided to charge us for these damages, this amount will be charged directly to you.
Non-UI Libraries Overdue Fees
When an item is kept past the due date and the lending library charges overdue fines, this amount will be charged directly to you.
- All fines and billing will be handled by the University Billing Office; the Libraries do not collect payment directly.
- If you do not understand a library charge on a University of Iowa Statement for library fines or library materials, please contact Main Library Circulation Services.
- If you locate library materials after having been billed for replacement cost, please return the materials to the Interlibrary Loan Office. You will be refunded the replacement cost (via the University Billing Office) but will not be refunded any fines or processing fees.