1855 Classes begin at The University of Iowa. Nine departments, including “Moral Philosophy,” are formed. Shortly thereafter, “Moral Philosophy” divides into two parts–philosophy and political economy.
1907 The School of Political and Social Science is renamed the School of Social Science and Commerce. Its home is University (now Jessup) Hall.
1914 Due to the remarkable expansion in enrollment, the School of Commerce is named a separate entity and business instruction separates from the School of Political and Social Science.
1921 The School of Commerce receives college status and is renamed the College of Commerce. Chester A. Phillips, nationally recognized authority in the field of money and banking, is named the first dean.
1923 The College of Commerce is accredited by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business.
1949 The Business and Industrial Placement Office is founded by Helen M. Barnes.
1959 The College of Commerce changes its name to the College of Business Administration.
1959 The MBA degree program is initiated.
1967 The MBA degree is offered off campus for the first time, in the Quad Cities at the Quad Cities Graduate Center and in Cedar Rapids at Coe College.
1965 The College of Business Administration moves into its new home, Phillips Hall, named in honor of Chester A. Phillips, first dean of the College.
1968 Ph.D. degrees may be earned in both Business Administration and Economics, still through the Graduate College.
1972 Ph.D. degree in Business Administration is offered through the College of Business Administration, with the first such degree conferred in December 1972.
1973 The first joint-master’s degree program (MBA and MA in Library Science) is begun. Joint master’s programs with Law (1977) and Hospital and Health Administration (1986), and Nursing (1990) follow.
1978 The first Executive MBA class is admitted to the College.
1993 The College of Business moves to the newly constructed John Pappajohn Business Administration Building.
1994 The Cedar Rapids Area Education and Conference Center opens.
1995 In cooperation with the Des Moines Area Community College, the MBA program is offered in Newton at the DMACC Polytechnic Campus.
Deans of the College of Business
Chester A. Phillips: 1921 — 1950
Sidney G. Winter: 1951 — 1964
Billy L. Barnes: 1964 — June 30, 1978
J. Richard Zecher: July 1, 1978 — August 1981
Emmett J. Vaughan, interim dean: 1981 — 1983
George Daly: July 1, 1983 — March 1993
Gary C. Fethke, acting dean: April 1993 — June 30, 1994, and dean July 1, 1994 – June 30, 2006
William C. (Curt) Hunter, July 1, 2006 –