Sponsored by the University of Iowa Libraries and generously funded by the Friends of the Libraries foundation, the Undergraduate Library Research Award is awarded to one student each semester. This award goes to an undergraduate student who has demonstrated creative or innovative research skills in the use, selection, and integration of resources, services, and materials from the UI Libraries in their research.
Faculty sponsored or independent individual research, including projects, papers, and course assignments are eligible. The award is in the amount of $500.00 to be used at the student’s discretion. Students can apply each semester but are only eligible to win once.
To be considered for the Undergraduate Library Research Award applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a currently enrolled undergraduate student in any year or discipline.
- Must be engaged in individual, independent or faculty sponsored research projects or course assignments; research conducted as part of a group or team is not eligible due to limited funding.
- Must complete the application and upload a bibliography or reference list of consulted sources, resources, or materials.
- Must use any number of resources, services, and materials through any of the UI Libraries.
Resources may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Articles, Databases, or e-journals
- Books and E-books
- Interlibrary loan
- Special Collections & University Archives
- Iowa Women’s Archives
- Digital Scholarship & Publishing Studio
- The SEAM (Students Engage at Main)
- One Button Studio
- Engineering Library’s tool library or Creative Space
- Research consultation with a librarian
To apply please complete the online application below. You will be asked to complete two open-ended prompts and upload a bibliography or a list of the resources you used throughout your research. Be prepared to describe your research project, why it’s important to you, and upload a Word document describing the research process, the selection and integration of library resources in your research, and the role the libraries have played in the context of your research. It is recommended you type your answers in a Word document and copy and paste into the application.
Application deadline: December 7th, 11:59PM
All applicants will be notified by email December 14th.
Applications are now closed
Application Evaluation Criteria
Your application will be judged on the following:
- Clarity of project plan and research strategy explaining methods and steps used to conduct research.
- Clear and detailed explanation of the selection and evaluation of library resources.
- Strong evidence of the integration and synthesis of library resources
- Explanation of UI Libraries’ value and purpose in context of research.
For more information about the award, issues with the application, or questions about library resources or services contact Jenay Solomon at firstname.lastname@example.org.