The University of Iowa Libraries

Skip to content
print page banner

Library Cards

Library Cards

One of 4 types of identification is required to check out material from the UI Libraries. All must be currently valid.

University Issued Faculty, Staff, and Student Cards

  • A University of Iowa ID Card.
  • A University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics (UIHC) Badge.

Library Issued Cards: (see explanation below)

  • A Borrower’s Permit
  • A Proxy Card

Questions about your borrower’s status can be answered at the Main Library Service Desk, Hardin Library, or any branch library during normal business hours.

We strongly recommend against loaning your ID card or your library materials to others. All financial responsibility for library materials rests with the person whose ID card was used to check them out.

If Your UI ID or UIHC Badge is Lost or Stolen:

Should your University ID or UI Health Care Badge become lost or stolen, please refer to the Iowa One Card Center’s FAQ’s for instructions.

Library Issued Cards

Borrower’s Permits:Users not affiliated with the University may, under some circumstances, be permitted to check materials out of the Libraries. Application for a borrower’s permit may be made online via the application form, at Main Library Service Desk or any university library.  Borrower’s permits, in most circumstances, will be issued to:

  • Iowa residents showing proof of residency and a picture ID (such as a current Iowa drivers license).
  • Friends of the University of Iowa Libraries showing an UI Friends membership card or receipt.
  • K-12 students enrolled in an Iowa school showing a picture ID and written request on letterhead paper from the librarian, administrative official, or teacher of an Iowa school.  Picture ID is not required when arrangements are made ahead of time, such as for group visits like National History Day.
  • K-12 students enrolled in an Iowa school showing proof of residency, a picture ID and a written request from their parent/guardian.  If the student is unable to present a picture ID and proof of residency, the parent/guardian may provide their documentation in their place.
  • Faculty members and students showing a current Faculty/Student ID card from Iowa State University, University of Northern Iowa, Kirkwood Community College, private colleges in Iowa (e.g. Mt. Mercy College, Coe College, or Cornell College) or a CIC University –  University of Chicago, University of Illinois, University of Illinois at Chicago, Indiana University, University of Michigan, Michigan State University, University of Minnesota, Northwestern University, Ohio State University, Pennsylvania State University, Purdue University and University of Wisconsin-Madison.
  • Spouses and domestic partners of UI faculty, staff, and students.  If not an Iowa resident, showing a Spouse and Domestic Partner ID Card.
  • Independent Scholars at the University of Iowa, including Technology Innovation (TIC) clients, showing a white plastic UI Independent Scholar card.
  • Participants in UI workshops, institutes, or special programs showing a white plastic “Special Programs” card.
  • Staff of the UI Foundation and the VA Hospital showing a UI Staff ID card noting “Foundation” or a VA Hospital badge.
  • UI fellows, post-doctoral fellows, visiting faculty, visiting fellows, residents, research associates, adjunct faculty, Saturday and Evening Class teachers, UI-sponsored visiting scholars, scholar affiliates, graduate fellows, and participants in the Iowa Critical Language Program showing relevant identification of affiliation with the University of Iowa, such as a letter from the sponsoring department.
  • Professional staff members of the state and federal geological surveys, the archaeological survey, and the State Historical Society whose offices are located in Iowa City showing relevant identification.

Proxy Card: Faculty members may authorize graduate assistants or other staff members to check out materials for them. The faculty authorization application is available on-line or can be obtained at any university library. The faculty member must fill out the application and assumes financial responsibility for any materials charged in this manner.

Lost or Stolen Library Issued Cards: If your paper bar-coded UI Libraries card is lost, stolen, or mutilated, please report this as soon as possible to the issuing library or to Main Library Circulation Services. A new card can be issued and all activity blocked on your old card.