The Media Collection contains most of the Main Library’s non-print materials including newspapers, microfilm, microfiche, microcards, audio cassettes, records, video cassettes, DVDs, CD-ROMs, and laser discs. Items in the media collection can be both retrieved and returned at the Service Desk, located on the first floor in the Main Library. [MAP ]
- The InfoHawk Video database includes the most complete listing of videos in The University of Iowa Libraries.
- Main Media Collection – New Videos in the Collection
To place media materials on reserve or view the policies, please see the Course Reserve website: http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/reserve/.
Policies & Guides
To view the Media Collection Circulation Policies, please see the Main Library Circulation Policies website: http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/about/policies/circulation/
- 16mm films are for instruction use only. They can be checked out for the class period by the instructor and must be returned after class.
- Software, microfilm, microfiche, and microcards may be checked out for the same period as books, based on UI status.
- Records, audio cassettes, and laser discs may be checked out for seven days.
- Videos and equipment may be used in the Reserve & Media room for those users not eligible to receive a borrower’s permit. A picture-ID must be presented and will be held during the time the equipment and material is being used.
Group Showing of Videos (Public Performance Rights) – see the classroom use tab of the Copyright Guide,
|Players in Main Library||Players available by request|
|Microfilm Reader||33 1/3 Record Player|
|Microfiche Reader||45rpm Record Player|
|DVD Player||Slide Viewer|
|VHS Player||16mm Player|
|DVD/NTSC (region free) Player||Cassette Tape Player|
|VHS/NTSC (region free) Player||CD Player|
|PAL/SEACAM (non-NTSC) DVD Player||Microcard Reader|
|PAL/SEACAM (non-NTSC) VHS Player|
|Laser Disc Player|
Index to Microform Collection Guides – An annotated index of Media Service’s nearly 250 microform holdings that have guides.
CIC (Center for Interinstitutional Cooperation) Film Collection
The CIC has made available 16mm films to members. These films are located at the University of Iowa Main Library. 85 films are available to users at CIC institutions for use in classrooms, independent studies, and research. Once a title is found, University of Iowa users can ask at the Main Library Information Desk for the 16mm film to be retrieved from storage. For users in a CIC library, your local interlibrary loan department should be contacted as the films will be lent out via the interlibrary loan service.
CIC Film Collection Catalog
The attached is an annotated list of CIC films held by the University of Iowa Libraries. Films are listed by title, year, catalog number and director. This list is a PDF file for downloading and printing.
InfoHawk can also be searched: http://infohawk.uiowa.edu/F?func=find-c&ccl_term=whn%3D%22CIC+Film+Cooperative%22