Visitors may, under some circumstances, be permitted to check materials out of the Libraries. Library cards can be applied for online, at Main Library Service Desk or any university library. Check-out time is variable, depending on your status. Renewals are possible and can be done online via My Account in InfoHawk+. Eligible individuals can request a library card if they fall under one of these groups:
- Iowa Residents (showing proof of residency)
- Friends of the University of Iowa Libraries (showing membership card or receipt)
- Faculty and students from a Regents or private college in Iowa (showing ID card)
- Current and emeritus faculty and students from a Big Ten Academic Alliance library (showing a CIC ID card received from your home library)
- Independent Scholars at the University of Iowa (showing a UI Independent Scholar card)
- UI sponsored visiting scholars, research associates, scholar affiliates, or other categories (showing relevant identification, such as a letter, from the sponsoring department)
- Spouses and domestic partners fo UI faculty, staff, and students (showing an ID card)
- Staff at the UI Foundation and VA Hospital (showing Staff ID or hospital badge)
- K-12 students in Iowa (showing a written request from a parent, teacher or other school official)
Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery Services
Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery services are not available for visitors or community borrowers. Your local public library offers this service and should be contacted for further information.
Guest ID’s to gain access to computers can be obtained by visiting the help desk of the Main Library Service Desk , Hardin Library’s Information Desk, or any university library.
Off-campus access to library databases and resources is not available, due to licensing restrictions. For further information, please see the Access to Commercial Databases policy and the Appropriate use of Electronic Resources policy.