The University Libraries is seeking nominations for the Arthur Benton Excellence in Reference Services Professional Development Award. The award is given biennially to a University Libraries* professional staff member who has demonstrated outstanding commitment in providing reference services for the University community. The $1,000 award, made possible by a generous endowment from Dr. Arthur Benton, Professor Emeritus in the Department of Neurology, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, will support the recipient’s professional development activities related to the advancement of library reference services.
Faculty, staff, or students may write a letter of nomination using the Award Nomination Form, briefly indicating why they feel an eligible library staff member is qualified based on two or more of the criteria noted below. Paper copies of the nomination form are also available at any University Libraries’ service desk or the Main Library Administrative Offices.
Nominations are due by Friday, March 9, 2012.
Excellence in two or more of the following areas comprise the criteria for the award:
- Demonstration of extraordinary service in working with undergraduate or graduate students, faculty, or staff above and beyond everyday expectations
- Development of an initiative, special project, or publication advancing reference and information services
- Demonstrated excellence in professional activity in an area or areas related to reference and information services
- Demonstrated innovation and creativity in deploying reference services
- Leadership abilities in working with colleagues to advance reference and information services locally, nationally, or internationally
- Demonstrated excellence in a subject area or subject areas involving provision of reference and information services
If you have questions about the award, contact Hope Barton, Associate University Librarian & Director, Services, 335-5867.
Past winners are Kathy Magarrell, Head, Reference and Library Instruction; Kathy Magarrell, Head, Reference & Library Instruction, Kären Mason, Curator, Iowa Women’s Archives; Dave Martin, Head, Pomerantz Business Library, and Edward Miner, International Studies Bibliographer.
* The University Libraries includes the Main Library, Hardin Library for the Health Sciences, and the Art, Sciences, Business, Engineering, and Music libraries.
(Professional staff in the Law Library and other campus departmental library staff are not eligible for this award.)