print page banner

The University of Iowa Libraries

Hardin Library for the Health Sciences

Hardin Library for the Health Sciences – a Photographic History (14)

< previous | home | next >

The Library Annex was a temporary home for the medical library while construction began on the medical campus on the west side of the river.  During this time, a trained medical librarian, Emma Felsenthal was hired to make the library conform to established medical library practices.  She reorganized the collection, assigned a uniform classification scheme, initiated interlibrary loan service, filled in the gaps in the periodical collection, and established new circulation procedures and regulations.  When the time came for the move to the medical campus, the collection included nearly 12,000 volumes.

South view of the recently completed Medical Laboratory Building, 1928

South view of the recently completed Medical Laboratory Building, 1928