Application Guidelines for the
Linda and Richard Kerber Fund for Research in the Iowa Women’s Archives
In honor of Linda and Richard Kerber’s enduring support for scholarship in the history of women, the Iowa Women’s Archives (University of Iowa Libraries) announces a grant of $1000 to fund travel to Iowa City, Iowa, to conduct research in the Iowa Women’s Archives. We welcome applicants from a variety of backgrounds, including graduate students, academic and public historians, and independent researchers and writers, although preference will be given to graduate students. The grant is intended to offset travel and lodging expenses of researchers whose work will benefit from using collections in the archives. The strengths of the Iowa Women’s Archives include rich collections on the history of the women’s movement, political activism, African Americans, rural women, and Latinas, especially in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The collections are global in scope. (See http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/iwa/viewshare/).
Grant recipients are expected to donate a courtesy copy of any publications that make use of the collections, and to acknowledge support of the Iowa Women’s Archives in any theses, dissertations, and publications.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line TRAVEL GRANT APPLICATION. Applications must be received via email by April 1, 2017. Notification of awards will be made by May 1, 2017.
Who is eligible?
- We welcome applications from graduate students, academic and public historians, and independent researchers and writers who reside outside a 100-mile radius of Iowa City, Iowa, and whose research projects would be substantially enriched by the use of materials held by the Iowa Women’s Archives.
- Research topics should be strongly supported by the collections of the Iowa Women’s Archives. We encourage each prospective grant applicant to discuss his or her research project and the collections that might support it with the Iowa Women’s Archives staff before submitting an application.
- For information about the collections, please see our collection guides.
What expenses does the award cover?
- The award may be used for travel and lodging but not for meals or photocopying. Prior to applying, non-US citizens should contact the library regarding visas or other required paperwork.
How do I apply?
The application packet consists of the following:
- A one-page letter of application. Be sure to state your name, mailing address, email address, and phone number.
- A research proposal of no more than 500 words describing the purpose of the research, the Iowa Women’s Archives holdings to be consulted, and the significance of these holdings to the overall project.
- A curriculum vita of no more than two pages.
- A proposed budget (not to exceed $1000) indicating how the funds will be spent.
Submit application to email@example.com with the subject line TRAVEL GRANT APPLICATION. If you do not receive an email within 3 days confirming that your application has been received, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and write TRAVEL FUND in the subject line.
What dates do I need to remember?
- Applications must be emailed by April 1, 2017.
- Grant recipients will be notified by May 1, 2017.
- Funds must be spent between June 1, 2017 and May 31, 2018.
Iowa Women’s Archives
The University of Iowa Libraries
125 West Washington Street
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1420