What is it?
A service for University of Iowa affiliates that provides free access to material either not in the University of Iowa collections or not immediately accessible in electronic format. Number of requests is not limited.
Using the system allows:
- Electronic delivery of articles and book chapters that are not in our collections or only available in print format
- Borrowing physical books and other materials that are not in our collection
How to Use It
Log in to the system using your hawk ID and password. To access the system from Hardin Library, visit the Hardin Library link, the first link under services on left side of page: http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/illa/
- Complete the registration form upon first use. There will be a prompt to choose a home and pick-up library, for delivery of physical items. If you are a student or staff member in the health sciences, your home library is Hardin Library. You can designate any convenient library from list as your pick-up library.
- There are 2 ways to initiate a request:
- Once logged in: select new request at top left, select appropriate format, complete the form, and submit at the bottom of the page.
- A faster option is to start from the InfoLink button from any library subscribed database. When text indicates that item is not available in electronic format, a prompt will appear to request item. In order to do this, log in to system you’re your hawk id and password. Then return to the InfoLink tab or window to select the GO button. An example with screenshots appears on page 2.
- When the item is ready, an email will be sent to your University email account. If the item is a book or other material type, this email will alert you to the location for pick-up. If the item is electronically delivered, select the link provided to log in to ILL, in order to view, save, and print the item. You will have 28 days to access/download electronically delivered items.
- If you are unsure of items already ordered or need to update your information, log in to the system and access menu items on left side of screen.
Note: It generally takes 3-5 business days to receive electronic copies of materials requested, but will take longer for physical items. If an item is needed urgently for patient care purposes, indicate this in the notes field of the form.
Please contact Hardin Reference Desk or any University of Iowa Library staff member for assistance with placing a request.
Phone: (319) 335-9151
Launch chat here: http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/contact/
Please contact Hardin Library Interlibrary Loan staff for questions about orders already placed, renewals, or trouble with accessing files.
Phone: (319) 335-9874
Example: How to initiate ILL request from PubMed
Step 1: Find abstract and select the Infolink button
Step 2: Select the link for logon to ILLiad
Step 3: log in with hawk id and password
Step 4: Return to the Infolink tab/window and select Go
Step 5: The form should automatically fill. Review and select submit