- The first priority of the Chinese collection is to serve the best interest of Chinese Studies programs here at University of Iowa;
- Its primary goals are to support and meet the needs of faculty and students in Chinese Studies programs;
- The collection is primarily focused on subject areas in the Humanities and Social Sciences;
- It includes materials in Chinese Studies on all formats;
- It selects materials primarily in Chinese but also acquires materials in Japanese, English and other European Languages;
- Collections for the core areas of Chinese Studies will continue to be strengthened;
- Areas of special interest, such as the Chinese Film Collection and Chinese Writers Collection, will continue to grow. The Chinese Film Collection will continue as Chinese Film and Theatre Collection, which will include materials on both Chinese film and theatre.